reduce size of Cygwin1.dll - How?

I know this question has been asked before
because I read the posts from a google on it.
Use strip on it says. But it doesn't work for
me. What am I doing wrong ?

Or is there another way. I don't use cvs; I use
the setup program. Is there a way to configure
the compile option(s) to keep the debug info
out of the cygwin1.dll. Mine is currently 1.73 MB.
I have seen some as small as 460 KB.

Thanks,

Bill Mudd