RE: Fixing the state of C++ in Cygwin

> From: Robert Pendell

[snip]

> Yep.  And both chkdsk and fsck can have issues and make
> things worse than they were.  Although that is rare anymore.

Rare indeed.  Since I switched over exclusively to NTFS the moment it was
available, I've never lost data from a HDD due to inadvertent power offs
etc.  Even despite the "never need to defrag" and "yeah yeah sure it's a
journaling FS" lies.

> I didn't know you could run chkdsk from the installation disc
> although I still would of never recovered the registry using
> the boot disc.  I had to do it all through a second install I
> just so happen to have installed at the time.

You might be confusing two things here.  If by "boot disc" you mean a floppy
that XP etc creates for you, in my experience that's next to useless.  It's
actually called the "recovery disk", and AFAIR contains like a stripped down
registry and not much else.  Again AFAIR, you can't actually even boot from
it.

You can boot from the Windows install CD-ROM, and get to what they call the
"Recovery Console" and with a lot of luck and a little work do things like
run chkdsk, restore saved registry "hives" (we used to call them "files",
but I'm old fashioned), and a bunch of other things that shouldn't be
necessary in the 21st century yet still are occaisionally for some reason.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle