FW: Good old nabble

On 18 April 2006 16:24, Dave Korn wrote:

> I'd certainly consider that a bug in their software.  It should only archive
>them as they arrive /back/ from the list, not on their way out.  If they
>really want to archive all of their users' rejected posts across all moderated
>or semi-moderated lists, they should perhaps flag them up as 'unconfirmed' or
>somesuch by highlighting them a different colour in the web interface or
>something.

Bug or undocumented feature? Hmmmm.

You're right, we need to resolve this problem. Right now, the message gets
posted locally and we forward the email to the list using the Nabble user's
registered email address as the sender. If the user's post is rejected or if the
user doesn't complete the subscription process or if he gets banned
from the list,
we would only know because we never get the message back from the list.

Currently, we assume that the user screwed up the confirmation step and we
send him an email once a day to remind him to complete it and tell him that
the message didn't go through. But if that never happens, then we do have
a problem.

Flag these messages as 'Pending' sounds like a good idea. I can have our
UI guy come up with something that makes sense and will make it obvious.

Then what? Should we delete them from the archive if they don't go through
after some period of time, a weeks perhaps?

>Hey nabble guys, you're generally quite attentive!  Are you following this
thread?

Yeah, not following, but I got an alert to look into it.

>> How delightful - a new way to confuse people about what mailing list to
>> use for cygwin.

>Surely you mean "How delightful - another bunch of clueless newbs locked
>away in their own little sandbox where none of us will ever have to be
>bothered with seeing or hearing from them! Muhahahahaahaaaaa!" ?   ;-)

Well, the world has not shortage of clueless newbs and we surely don't have
a corner on that market.

BTW: We added a wiki type UI to the archives that allows anyone to edit
the list descriptions and whatnot. If someone on the list wanted to take the
time to register at Nabble, they could add some info that might help to ensure
that people did post to the correct list.

Of course, this would assume that clueless newbs could read which might not
necessarily be true.

Regards,
Rod Morris
Nabble.com