Re: FW: Good old nabble

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:50:42PM -0700, Rod Morris wrote:
>On 18 April 2006 16:24, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> I'd certainly consider that a bug in their software.  It should only archive
>>them as they arrive /back/ from the list, not on their way out.  If they
>>really want to archive all of their users' rejected posts across all moderated
>>or semi-moderated lists, they should perhaps flag them up as 'unconfirmed' or
>>somesuch by highlighting them a different colour in the web interface or
>>something.
>
>Bug or undocumented feature? Hmmmm.

I don't see how it could be construed as anything but a bug.

>You're right, we need to resolve this problem. Right now, the message gets
>posted locally and we forward the email to the list using the Nabble user's
>registered email address as the sender.  If the user's post is rejected
>or if the user doesn't complete the subscription process or if he gets
>banned from the list, we would only know because we never get the
>message back from the list.

I can't quite parse the above but ezmlm does send a bounce message when
lists@nabble.com tries to send a message to the cygwin-apps mailing list.

>Currently, we assume that the user screwed up the confirmation step and we
>send him an email once a day to remind him to complete it and tell him that
>the message didn't go through. But if that never happens, then we do have
>a problem.
>
>Flag these messages as 'Pending' sounds like a good idea. I can have our
>UI guy come up with something that makes sense and will make it obvious.

nabble is blocked from sending emal to cygwin-apps.  So no matter what
process the user goes through on your end, their messages will never
show up in the cygwin-apps mailing list.

>Then what? Should we delete them from the archive if they don't go through
>after some period of time, a weeks perhaps?

You're calling this "an archive" but it is not an archive of cygwin-apps
if it (even briefly) contains a copy of a message which never was part of
actual cygwin-apps traffic.

Can you mark sourceware's subscriber-only mailing lists as read-only on
your end so that attempts to send a message are blocked immediately?

OTOH, you could also notice when sourceware sends you a message indicating
that your message was denied and remove the message.

cgf