A banner day

Tonight, it occurred to me that I have banned three people in the
course of my tenure as admin for the cygwin mailing list.  All of them
repeatedly ignored my request to stop sending off-topic messages in one
form or another.  Usually, these people just couldn't stop sending
personal details of their lives but there was, IIRC, one person who
was somewhat abusive.

I gave each of these people 3 or 4 warnings before blocking them and,
when I did block them, it was with a sick feeling in my heart even
though I felt it was necessary.  Two of those people are back today and
sending email to cygwin lists with no problem.

Usually when I block someone, I block them from all of the cygwin lists.
But, tonight, I have chosen to only block Gary R.  Van Sickle from the
cygwin-apps list.  Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, I will conclude that
this was a big mistake because, after all, Gary does sometimes provide
useful technical feedback.

Tonight, however, it just seems to make sense that, in fairness to other
people who have been banned, there was no reason to have to suffer with
someone who repeatedly and determinedly breaks the mailing list rules.
I have refrained from this action for a long time because I knew that it
would seem like a non-objective personal response and, again, maybe when
I wake up tomorrow it will seem like that to me again.  But, we'll
see...

Anyway, if anyone has a problem with my decision, feel free to send me
private email (me+cygwin-apps at cgf dot cx) to discuss it.  I promise
to listen calmly and respond rationally as long as you don't use the
words "no personal offense intended".  I'll even listen if you think I
need to block myself from all cygwin lists since I know I'm no saint.
That's another thing that has kept my finger away from the "ban" button
for so long...

cgf