Re: Re: Handling special characters (\/:*?"<>|) gracefully

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 02:55:24PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 25 May 2006 14:45, Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:
>>The code was released as PD, so there are no copyrights claimed.  Once
>>you get a copy, you can do whatever you want with it.
>
>Well, I'm not 100% sure that means I can re-license it.  And IIUIC I
>would need to actually *own* the copyright on anything that I want to
>place under GPL.  So cgf's caution is probably correct and I should
>really do a clean-room implementation of my own.
>
>I think it'll be ok to use the list of functions that you suggested as
>the basis, however!

FWIW, Red Hat's legal department (who no longer respond to my email) once told
me that incorporating public domain stuff into Cygwin was ok as long as it was
very clear that there was no claim on the code.

Unfortunately, proving that a company doesn't claim ownership is usually roughly
equivalent to having them fill out the idious cygwin assignment so, AFAICT, this
isn't usually all that useful an option to pursue.

cgf