Re: slow share = slow scripts?

TITTTLing...

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:57:03AM -0700, clayne wrote:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:34:10PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
Here is what I am talking about:
~$ mount h:/mwoehlke/src /usr/src
mount: defaulting to '--no-executable' flag for speed since native path
      references a remote share.  Use '-f' option to override.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...neither 'mount --help' or 'man mount' makes *any* mention of this
additional functionality of the '-f' flag.  See?  I'm *not* imagining
things.  :-)
The guy was simply stating that he's human and headn't read it yet.  He
also pointed out that an implicit behavior was not explicitly
documented as such, but more so infered by output when using the
--no-executable flag.

'  -f, --force                   force mount, don't warn about missing mount
point directories '

To you guys saying 'get off the computer' [snip potentially offensive bits]
Cut people some slack for once - they're on the same side as you trying to
achieve the same goals.

Right... We're only human. Sheesh.

The correct response to someone telling you to use "-f" is to read the
man page and, when you see that you've had a previous misconception
about "-f", nod to yourself and get on with your life.  You don't have
to send email telling us all that you thought "-f" meant something else,
(especially when you hadn't previously exposed your misconception) and
you surely don't have to send *two* messages explaining your confusion
when there really is nothing to be confused about.

I could send a long message about this, but upon further reflection, I won't. Instead, I will point out two things.

First, I had *already* read the man page in response to Larry's post.

Second, I replied to Dave Korn *before* I saw your post (not before I *read* it... it wasn't there when I wrote my reply to Dave).

Think about it.

Cygwin = MSFTEU. I'm *supposed* to be confused. ;-)

According to the man page, 'mount -f' does X. From *real experience* I *know* that it, in fact, does Y. I think we have agreed that this is MSFTEU = confusing. Let's not argue about it.

--
Matthew
...Ruthlessly beating Windows with a hammer until it looks like POSIX.