Re: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 03:05:56PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>>>Isn't the m'$' compiler you're using actually free?  If so, the dollar
>>>sign appears to be misplaced.
>>
>>Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free; all other editions are not.
>>The only thing us Cygwin users use from MSVC++8 is cl.
>
>Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
>"here's the sources".

Still the continued use of the '$' in Microsoft's name has gotten sort
of old.  Is it supposed to be funny?  It can't possibly be funny since
it's been used 8,397,423,921 times in usenet and in mailing lists.

Is it supposed to be a condemnation of the fact that a corporation is in
it for the money?  Well, duh.

Is it supposed to be a political commentary about the evilness of
Microsoft?  Sorry, but I don't see the "$" as a mark of the devil.

I guess it's part of our usenet culture now but, like so many repetitive
trends on the CygWin board, I'm sick of it.  It seems to me, that the
philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
umbrella stands?  I am a long time CygWin user and I think that, if
CygWin is to truly evolve, it should move beyond Microsoft platforms and
possibly even consider running directly on LinUX rather than emulating
it.

Think about it.  Then we could run rpm natively and use real inodes.  It
wouldn't loop endlessly when installing Windows Service Packs because there
would be *no* windows service packs to install!  It would be straight
LinUX all of the way!

I don't have time to implement this myself because I have to pee really
bad right now but I think this deserves quite a bit of discussion.  I
think that you should all explain why this is a bad idea to me
repeatedly so that I can feel important while I continue to remind you
that I have to pee and can't do anything other than send email and
make the same points over and over again.

What is wrong with this scenario?  Are you all just cowards?  Is that
why you haven't already implemented my insightful plan?

Also, I think if Cygwin is truly to survive, it should not be encumbered
by the GDL.  You should not need a driver's license to use software!
I've been programming for 47 years and it is ridiculous to force this
on users.

cgf