Re: Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:30:22PM +0100, Mark Fisher wrote:
this forum (i hope) was never meant as a personal sarcasm area and to
read it it's very annoying.

if you don't have something constructive to say, lay off laying into
people.

[snip] Here's the bottom line: If you want results then behave in a way that is
likely to get them. Use complete sentences. Provide details when you
report problems. Don't send long boring messages asserting why you need
things and don't express outrage that the free stuff you've been using
doesn't work the way you want it to. Listen to advice and respond to it
directly. Call the project/product by its correct name (don't call it
"CygWin" or "Cyg"). Don't assume that people understand your mindset,
use acronyms which are not widely known, or talk about packages as if
everyone in the world uses them. Don't complain that you have no time
to provide details and expect that there will be someone with time to
track things down for you.

IOW, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html like we told you to. If you post something that indicates failure to have done so, then expect us to respond accordingly. We warned you. It's not our fault you can't read the directions. :-)

Until posting to the list requires people to pass an etiquette test (not a bad idea IMHO), the best we can do is try to beat people over the head with pointers and hope they read them. Having done that, I at least don't have a lot of sympathy for people that can't read and follow directions, and while I might not personally choose to respond in the manner cgf seems to be choosing lately, I totally understand why he does.

Of course, the wonderful irony is that people who have *not* read the above have also missed the part where the same guidelines tell them exactly what to expect for failure to read and obey said guidelines. :-)

--
Matthew
Warning: This message has not been approved by the FDA.