Re: Not directly Cygwin: Windows special filenames

Hi,

First, I would like to apologise for all the errors (grammatical, mistype, and dropped wording) in the original email.

These are not valid paths in the DOS namespace. It's an NT native device name which is mapped to \\.\physicaldrive0 in DOS. See

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

If you want cygpath to create the correct Windows equivalents,
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI and http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

I would love to contribute, unfortunately cannot presently. I will however try to forward a suggestion for the Special Filenames section of the user manual, that flags the names as not being in the same "namespace" as most cygpath -w outputs, if that's ok?

Corinna
[who has that feeling this is an off-topic discussion for cygwin-talk]

As in it has become on-topic for cygwin ml, right? I should have re-adjusted when the second part of my email touched on cygpath. Sorry about that.

Regards,
Shaddy