RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

[TTTTLTLLLT'ing this to the proper list, unlike some Korns et al I could
mention]

> From: Joachim Achtzehnter
>
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
> > Every single day for the past month, we have had at least
> > seventy-four[*] identical duplicate redundant reports of this...
>
> Have you considered that there just might be a significant
> message hidden in this from your user community? As somebody
> who was involved in one of these earlier threads, let me also
> mention that to every one of these seventy-four[*] reports
> you see on the mailing list there is another user who
> expresses his annoyance with these changes in private emails,
> having given up on posting such things because of the hostile
> reaction one gets these days for expressing views about
> requirements that certain people here don't like.

"These days"?  You're new 'round these parts, huh?

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > I just don't care about MS-DOS paths.
>
> Fair enough, you've made that pretty clear in previous posts.

It's kind of sad really: There used to be a time when Cygwin was more "POSIX
And Windows Living In Relative Harmony" than "Any flavor as long as it's
Linux".

> > If I am somehow conveying the impression that there is some
> threshold
> > of affected users which will cause me to spend my own time
> trying to
> > modify make, let me make it clear - that is not the case.
>
> If this implies that Cygwin maintainers generally "just don't
> care" about their users anymore perhaps those users will have
> to band together some day and consider creating a Cygwin fork...

Where do you think MinGW came from?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle