Re: setup.exe: No choice of mount point type?

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 04:21:12PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Feb  7 09:32, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:03:00PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >Given that we still support textmode mounts for historical reasons, but
>> >don't like people actually using them, what if setup.exe would simply
>> >not give the choice?  We can't keep users from changing the mount points
>> >after an installation, but who demands from us to leave the user the
>> >choice in the base installation process?  Just removing the button group
>> >from the options dialog would be sufficient, me thinks...
>>
>> I think we're sending a mixed message about textmode mounts these days
>> when it is one of the "solutions" to make bash understand CRLF scripts.
>
>Indeed.
>
>> And, as much as I like not offering people this option, I think we'll be
>> flooded with user requests if we delete it.
>
>More than usual? ;)
>
>> OTOH, maybe including something like:
>>
>> 'See "man mount" for details about how to change the characteristics of
>> the cygwin root or to mount additional directories.'
>>
>> would be sufficient.
>
>That sounds good to me.  Just keep a hint which mentions there's
>something mysterious you can do with a even more mysterious tool
>called "mount".

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling mount several times without
much luck.  bash still fails to operate and make still doesn't DOS
paths.  Note that it DID work fine with my previous version of Cygwin
which, I think, was 1.1.97.0.123.1.

I don't want to have to get a pHD in computer science to use Cygwin.  I
just want it to work.  If you can't guarantee correct operation then I
may have to use some other package like SCO.

I can't help but think that a lot of people are being hit by this, too.
It is definitely a bug and it definitely should be fixed ASAP.

Ed.C.
--
Ed C. Lueless                    Computer Geru/Master Programmer
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." -- William Blake