Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] copy-paste

Eric Blake wrote:

> I actually appreciate nabble.  Since I can't post using my work address
> (partly because I don't want that stupid legalese trash appended to
> archived message, and partly because they block SMTP from non-work
> addresses), I end up using web-based fronts that still allow list posts.
> Normally, gmane is better, but when gmane is down (and it is amazing to me
> how often they are), I have been known to post from nabble when I am at
> work and want to post on my break time rather than waiting for a few hours
> to when I am back home.  I will not argue with blocking nabble, as I agree
> that many clueless users tend to use it, and nabble's handling of posts is
> comparatively lousy (they won't even let you reply to all appropriate
> lists on a message that was originally cross-posted).  So this opinion is
> just food for thought, and you can safely ignore it if you want.

I guess I'm being a little hasty in saying Nabble is garbage.  Email-web
gateways are useful in some circumstances.  It's just that Gmane seems
to get everything right where Nabble gets everything wrong: Gmane is a
transparent gateway; Nabble has that silly banner at the foot of every
message.  Gmane doesn't seem to have any problem with attachments; posts
from Nabble users always seem to have attachments stripped and turned
into web links.

I guess the real root of my concern is that the liklihood of a post
being from someone completely clueless that doesn't seem to realize they
are posting to a mailing list seems to be noticeably higher when it
comes from Nabble.  Maybe that's just because of the Nabble banner,
maybe it's because Nabble just attracts less-clued users, maybe it's
something else.  It's just a little irksome.

Brian