RE: Looking for man pages

On 07 August 2007 18:55, Bob McConnell wrote:

  I didn't invite you to bring your spiteful, vitriolic little diatribe into
my personal inbox, so I'm sending this back to the list.  However, since we're
getting way off-topic, I'm moving the thread to the -talk list, which is where
rants belong.  Please keep it there when following up.

>>   Learn the half-dozen simplest commands:  cursor keys,
>> space, del, 'n', 'p'
>> and 'b' for navigation, and '/' for searching.  That's 99.9%
>> of all you'll
>> ever need.  Pretend the rest just doesn't exist, if it scares
>> you so much.
>
> Dave,
>
> It doesn't scare me at all. It simply informs me that the application is
> seriously over-developed and bloated, which makes it unusable as a
> simple help file viewer.

  This is a complete non-sequitur.  The features which you do not use have NO
EFFECT.  It works absolutely fine as a "simple help file viewer" every single
day of the week.  I use those half-dozen simple commands and nothing else and
you know what?  All that extra stuff HAS NO EFFECT!  It is exactly the same
amount as usable as if it *only* had those half-dozen simple commands.

  The problem is entirely in your own head:  apparently, just *knowing* that
it's there somehow affects the usability of the program for you.  That's
*your* psychological problem.  There's no way you can justify that claim.

> Like emacs, from which is was apparently
> derived, it was most likely created by an elitist for elitists, simply
> to give them another reason to thumb their noses at people with less
> time on their hands. Unfortunately, as good as emacs might be, it came
> along a decade or two too late for me to get involved in that lifestyle.

  You're being a inverse snob here.  It's utter paranoia to suppose that any
of this was designed in order to exclude you.  You have a serious attitude
problem to assert that you have some kind of insight into the mentality of the
designers; you weren't there at the time, you know nothing about the
motivations for their decisions or anything else, you just ASSUME that they
must be bad people who were trying to get at you.

> And before you respond, let me just tell you that I have pointed this
> problem out in other forums and the reactions were both quick and
> personal, telling me that I am indeed hitting a raw nerve.

  You're provoking it.  Why is it only other people who are being personal
when they respond, and not you being personal when you call people elitists
and say they're only doing things in order to thumb their noses?  Because
you're operating a double-standard, that's why.

  You're projecting your personal chip-on-your-shoulder out into the world and
blaming everyone else for your attitude problem.  No wonder people don't like
you.  How smug and complacent are you to assume that, when everyone else in
the world disagrees with you, it's because you're right about everything and
are hitting a raw nerve, rather than because you're just being a jerk?

    cheers,
      DaveK