RE: Idle Friday lunchtime musing

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 10 August 2007 14:23, Phil Betts wrote:
>
> > At the end of a hard week, my mind started wandering...
> >
> > TITTTL - almost an apt acronym by association with "tittle-tattle"
> >
> > Unfortunately, tittle without tattle is "a tiny or scarcely detectable
> > amount" according to http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=tittle
>
>   Actually, tittle all by itself is exactly one jot less than that.
>
> > This is hardly a fitting description of the resident hippos and is
> > liable to cause offence.
>
>   Yeh, but they're more liable to blame whoever sneaked that 'E' in at the
> end, since it wasn't there originally.  In otherwords,
>
>     tittle = iota - jot + E.

TI is the chief spirit of the universe[*].  TTL is the lifetime of that
spirit.  And E is the energy it'll spend in that lifetime (equal to mc^2).

> > A more PC acronym is therefore in order.
>
>   Can't we have a more senior acronym?  A DC or DSI, at the very least?
>
> > Perhaps "Post Replies At The Talk List" would yield a more fitting
> > acronym: http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=prattle
>
>   What is it with you and Es spontaneously appearing all over the place?
> You'd be pretty popular at most raves!

It's Ye Olde Cygwine Acronyme game...

> >   * (n) idle or foolish and irrelevant talk
> >   * (v) speak (about unimportant matters) rapidly and incessantly
> >
> > Looks ideal to me, and nothing for the hippos to find offensive.
>
>   I wouldn't call a hippo "idle or foolish" if I were you!  Otherwise
> you might find them "rapidly" charging you and "incessantly" stomping
> you into the ground!

The talk is idle and foolish (and irrelevant).  The hippos are busy and
wise...  (whew, I think I've got all the bases covered here).
	Igor
[*] <http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/etgloss/tho-tre.htm> (no anchors)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert