Re: Cygwin Book?

On 10/14/07, Mike Marchywka
<marchywka@theemailservicethatwasonceaperlscriptandnowisrunonvb4>
wrote:

> Wasn't someone posting here from the UBS domain? I think their disclaimer
> came up a few times. LOL.  I've seen cygwin mentioned on stock
> message boards.
>

> Certainly the speed detracts from serious usage- I think the slow
> std::string problem
> was a bug unique to one g++ release ( and I now have all my own char*
> string routines with
> custom non-conforming allocators thank you very much .. ) but anything that
> requires interaction
> with windoze will be slow.
>

> >From: zzapper <david@wowletsnotgivetheemailaddress!>
> >To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> >Subject: Re: Cygwin Book?
> >Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:01:11 +0000 (UTC)

> >20071013163547.GD8304@ednor.casa.cgf.cx:">news:20071013163547.GD8304@ednor.casa.cgf.cx:

> > > I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
> > > publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.  It
> > > might provide some credibility to Cygwin, though.  I'm rather sick of
> > > seeing it referred to as a "toy" by various people who think they're
> > > insightful.
> > >
> > > cgf
> >
> >As you say it would raise Cygwin's profile especially to corporates.
> >Perhaps it could be done as a team effort and you must have vast array of
> >material that could be garnered from your postings.

How about we do it like every other major project has done: make a
book that gives the overeducated joe just a little bit of information
in every area so that they can learn.

--
Morgan gangwere

Please Excuse TOFU. Gmail/Mobile has no Power.

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.