Re: Hippos, Dreamhost, and mirrors

On 07-Jul-2008 18:58, Robert Pendell wrote:

Michael Schaap wrote:
| On 07-Jul-2008 2:21, Robert Pendell wrote:
|>
|> Well apparently the hippos are going to be let loose at Dreamhost for
|> some work. This will occur on July 11th so their entire network will be
|> inaccessable. This includes my mirror (cygwin.elite-systems.org) so if
|> anyone uses that mirror then don't panic as it will be back up the next
|> day. Hopefully... :p
|>
| My guess: they're just shutting down the network for the day so that the
| entire staff can go and stand in live for an iPhone 3G...
|
| – Michael

Yea, probably but they are pretty serious about it.  They put alot of
band-aid style fixes for some routing issues.  Usually they are on the
ball and get things working quickly.  This is the first time I've seen
advanced notice about a network outage.

The downtime is supposed to last 2 hours at most, and hopefully around 30 minutes. <http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2008/06/18/network-outage-july-11/>
They're pretty optimistic about the length of the lines in front of the Apple store... or maybe they're bringing the hippos for a stampede, to shorten the queue.

– Michael