RE: OLoCA

Dave Korn wrote on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:35 PM:

> Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote on 31 July 2008 00:06:
>
>>   - Note: NIAID is an acronym for the National Institute of Allergy
>> and Infectious Diseases (part of the National Institutes of Health).
>> Note that the article and prepositions were not included.  People who
>> work here usually spell it out but often enough pronounce it as a
>> word.  What we struggle with is whether to use the definite article
>> with the acronym. Is it "NIAID is a component of NIH" or "The NIAID
>> is a component of the
>> NIH"?
>
>   Surely Sir Knee-Aid was one of the Knights who say 'NIH'?

A common mistake.  The knights said "NI" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_who_say_Ni>.  "NIH" differs with its terminal aspiration.

One little-known aspect of NIAID's mission is NI-AID -- giving AID to knights and others who say NI.

- Barry
  -  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID, nor of anyone, noble or commoner, who says Ni!.
  -  If you believe you received this e-mail in error, you are probably sadly mistaken, but if not, aren't you lucky?
  -  Sending this e-mail does not constitute endorsement of the contents; I may change my mind later.
  -  This e-mail may have been sent in haste; if any of its contents are offensive, inappropriate, inaccurate, ungrammatical, misspelled, or incomplete, too bad.
  -  Ideas in this e-mail are bigger than they appear and the writer may be smarter than he appears.