Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:34:21 -0800
From: Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: How does one find "cygdrive path" in a Win ".bat" file (was Re: Bug in "startXwin.bat")
--------- Chop --------------------

The new subject ONLY went to the general list.

	Ahhh....I see...sorry
	I first responded to the cygwin-Xfree list about the
"general topic" of mount and determining the cygwin prefix.

	I realized, after posting, that it was actually no longer an
XFree only list, but had actually transitioned to a more general list.

	They are two separate notes -- not copies of the same.
	The note to the xfree list:
--------
No, you don't need to look in the registry.  There's nothing there that
'mount' won't tell you.  Forget about the registry.  You'll be better
off, especially when Cygwin 1.7 is released.
-----
    Um...you sure about that?

how do you run 'mount' if you don't know what the cygdrive prefix is?
--------
	Was a direct response to what you said with no context.
	The one posted to the general list was revised to include a bit
more information in the question so as to provide context:
--------
No, you don't need to look in the registry.  There's nothing there that
'mount' won't tell you.  Forget about the registry.  You'll be better
off, especially when Cygwin 1.7 is released.
---
    I'm curious -- how does mount find or 'know' the cygdrive path
if it doesn't come from the registry.

    For that matter, how would a windows .bat file find the
'mount.exe' binary if the .bat file doesn't know 'cygdrive path'?
--------

	If I sent the 1st one to the cygwin-general list, it might
have caused confusion -- like someone might question was starting off in
the middle of a conversation.  Thus I rewrote the question as
1) a general question about how mount finds the cygdrive path
	and 2)
how an independent windows ".bat" script could find out the "cygwin prefix"
so it could call a utility such as "mount" (mount -p, specifically) in order
to be able to know the "cygwin prefix"...;-)  Sure seems circular to me.

lin> how do you run 'mount' if you don't know what the cygdrive prefix is?
Actually, that's not the question you asked, though I'll concede that
this is what you meant to ask.  And I answered that on the main list.
---
	But, but but -- that is what I asked in the **revised** note
that had a new subject on the main list.  I said:
--------
    I'm curious -- how does mount find or 'know' the cygdrive path
if it doesn't come from the registry.

    For that matter, how would a windows .bat file find the
'mount.exe' binary if the .bat file doesn't know 'cygdrive path'?
--------
	I asked 2 questions -- specifically about "mount's" method
finding the cygdrive path, and 2) the general case -- how to find the
cygdrive path from outside of cygwin in a windows .bat file.

For completeness, I'll paraphrase it here - there's no good way.

    Just because you can't answer the question without circular
logic is no reason to get upset.

While other statements of yours have been understandable, even if they were in error, this one makes no sense so I won't respond to it.
----
	Well...it sorta makes sense -- you had no good answer, and you
seemed to be beating about the bush (or beating on the linda and/or her
posting style).  I guess, _I felt_, that if you were beating about
the Linda, then you must have some level of "upset".  Sorry if that
wasn't the case.  Perhaps it was a bit of projection?