Re: Computer magazine CHIP asks for permission to distribute "cygwin" on its cover-cd

>> Deferring to Corinna's native language (?), as best I can (my apologies,
>> in advance):

>> Wie weh tut mein finger.
>> Wie weh tut mein fuss.
>> Wie weh tut mir alles!
>> Wann, die 3PPs "schuss"!?

>> ;-)

>> Having said that, I believe I first found out about Cygwin, years ago,
>> from a CD. Before that I had been a user of MKS, and later Thompson
>> Toolkits.

(The big difference between Thompson and MKS, is that Thompson worked. ;-))

> Was it the dearly lamented Cygwin CD that I fought tooth and nail to have
> Cygnus release?  That experience will be in my memoirs some day...

My vague memory is that I was in some hacker bookstore, and they
had a bunch of bargain CDs. I bought several along with one or
two ORA books. One had Cygwin along with some other stuff. Others
included Knoppix, a Perl-only CD, Yggdrasil, and some gawdawful
share- and free-ware.

I was hooked on FLOSS.

> I was supposedly in charge of the project but I'd get email telling me
> that a meeting had been held and everyone had decided not to include
> "perl" in the distribution.

Corporate development. Sigh! (I worked at DEC for a time. If the
"force was with them", that force must have been militant
ignorance ... ;-) )

> Good times...

Do I "detect" a symphony of sarcasm? A note of noxiousness? A
tome of tomatoes, rotten? ;-)

> cgf

Lee