unison 2.40.16 (cygwin) over ssh doesn't resume after merge command

Hi all,
This is forwarded from the unison-users mailing list. Original post at the bottom...

Executive summary: unison 2.40.16 (cygwin) freezes upon exit of a merge command, but only when one root is ssh. Works fine when both are local.
Testing the MSVC build of 2.40.16 also works fine with a ssh-root.

Any hints are welcome! As a last resort, I'll have to dive into building unison on cygwin myself.

Cheers,
Robert