RE: Where to find a reliable provider of CygwinX?

Christopher Faylor sent the following at Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:47 PM

>>A previous reply informed me that libjpeg62 may be included as an
>>obsolete package.  I have not checked that out, so the discussion
>>including the following should be understood in that context.  I have
>>not checked whether it actually is available that way.
>
>On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 10:10:40PM +0100, J?rgen Steensgaard wrote:
>
>So, to translate:
>
>Bug report: xemacs is relying on an obsolete dll.
>
>Action Required: Check with the xemacs package maintainer.
>
>Also, try to track down why setup.exe didn't install the library
>automatically.
>>I deliberately omitted the identity of the actual provider, since this
>>mailinglist is so widely read.  Send me a private email-address and I
>>shall provide you with the information.
>
>If there is a public mirror which needs to investigated then please send
>it here. No one's feelings will be hurt or reputation tarnished. Again,
>please send the problematic mirrors here.
>
>Translation: Potential cockpit error or seriously screwed up mirror.
>
>Action Required: Determine exactly which mirrors were involved. I will
>investigate once those are known.
>>The missing presence of X and xinit I experienced by use of 'which' and
>>making certain that these were commands in a 1.5-version that is running
>>on another computer.  In fact I looked in vain for a folder with
>>binaries for X.  I then switched provider, used an unmodified selection
>>of packages and checked that the two commands were present in a relevant
>>folder.  I have not yet the X-server running.
>
>I can't say for sure if you know this or not but Cygwin/X is not
>installed by default. You have to specifically select it. This is
>why I'm asking for specific details about what you did to select X
>applications.
>
>Translation: Potential cockpit error or seriously screwed up mirror.
>
>Action Required: Determine exactly which mirrors were involved. I will
>investigate once those are known.
>>I used the search facility of setup.exe with libjpeg to find packages,
>>none of them showed libjpeg6.2 and subsequently checked with the
>>complete name.  This was the behaviour observed with two different
>>providers.  I was not aware of means to disclose obsolete packages.
>
>Translation: Bug report: You can't search for packages marked obsolete
>via setup.exe.
>
>Action Required: I'll ask some of the setup developers if that is by
>design.
>>Another experience that emerge from this discussion is that it seems
>>very hard to be believed.  It is also very hard to document the details
>>of what goes on during installation.  Please take than into account when
>>you take this as a support experience, which certainly is in line with
>>my intentions.
>
>Third person usage aside, you're right. We do not automatically
>believe the *interpretation* of someone reporting problems since their
> [...]

Chris,

Today you've shown what I think may be a perhaps unprecedented level of
patience.

Please congratulate your physician on finally getting the meds right.

However, I must say that I missed the customary curmudgeonly reply.  I
suspect that it leads to better posts when one makes an active effort
to avoid your ire.  (It certainly has that affect on me!)  So please
consider discussing with your doctor lowering the dosage - just a bit.

Thanks for all you do to improve cygwin and to help people in the
cygwin community.

Best wishes,

- Barry