The dangers of mounting

So, I have just wasted several hours trying to figure out why a backup
program kept screaming about access denied to my .bash_history.

I learned about the intricacies of Windows' ICACLS utility. I
refreshed my memory about ATTRIB. I rebooted. I reinstalled all of
Cygwin. I deleted my .bash_history. And I still got an error message
pointing to C:\cygwin\home\andersen\.bash_history.

Then it hit me. I had mounted C:/Users on /home.

So that .bash_history that I spent hours exercising, the one I had
deleted, changed permissions on, was

C:\Users\andersen\.bash_history, not
C:\cygwin\home\andersen\.bash_history

Now I'm off to bed.