Opinion about directory structure

        I've been playing with the release of 17.1 tools.  I've tried to get
man to work and it's having a problem finding things because of the new
directory sturcture.  If I downloaded the source code to the development
tools, ie gcc, g++, man, etc. and recompile to the new directory structure?
Is there an environment variable I can set so that all occurances of like
/usr/bin in these configure scripts so that they will know what to do?  If
not, I suggest in the next major revison that the structure go back to how
it was before with the /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc.

/** >;-) ******************************************************* @-;< **\
*                                                                       *
*   "Some great words of wisdom from the mind of..."                    *
*   Eric L Andry                                                        *
*   843 Issaqueena Trail Apt 142    Computer Engineering Student        *
*   Central, South Carolina         at Clemson University               *
*   29630-9375                      email: eandry@hubcap.clemson.edu    *
*   (864) 653-5656                   http://www.clemson.edu/~eandry/    *

-