man & ncurses problems

As of recently, man (and troff) have been giving me problems.  It's
giving the following error:

/usr/local/bin/groff:/usr/local/lib/groff/font/devlatin1/DESC:1:
illegal input character code `13'

repeating a few thousand (or so) times.  I got the allman.tar.gz
someone mentioned earlier from their ftp site at ftp.deerinet.nb.ca.

I can't think of changing anything in my setup.  I first installed
the allman package after remounting everything in binary mode.  It
worked then, and I didn't use man pages for a few weeks.  I tried
reinstalling it, but no luck.

On another note, has anyone else built ncurses?  It built perfectly
after remounting in bin mode, but I get a lot of "Bad escape code"
errors while running programs (ncftp, and many of the demos in
ncurses).  I've tried several TERM settings,
from pc-ansi, to ansi, vt*, etc.   Does anyone have it working any
better?

TIA
-