Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

Note : I'm not a Cygnus spokesperson, just a developer
who works there on Cygwin32 (amongst other things).

Keith Gary Boyce wrote :

>Will someone from cygnus define commercial. Does that mean if you say
>something like "If you like send $x to y" that's fine and you don't need a
>licence. And if you produce binarys and say something like this does that
>mean you are also obligated to share source code for free.

As far as I can see 'Commercial' means charging money
for the software you ship. If you ship software with
an invoice to your customers then that's commercial
use and you would need to either :

(1). Buy a license from Cygnus for Cygwin32 so that
you can ship the Cygwin32 code not under the GPL.

or :

(2). Your software comes under the terms of the GPL.
ie. You need to offer source to your customers who
then have all the freedoms that the GPL gives them.

Note that this explicitly allows anyone working on
GPL software to continue using Cygwin32 without needing
any license from Cygnus. We are, of course, continuing
to develop Cygwin32 - the aim is as close to POSIX
as Win32 will allow :-).

Hope that helps,

	Jeremy Allison
	jra@cygnus.com