Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

Shankar, in the sea of noise concerning the Cygwin32 Press Release, it's
refreshing to find someone who understands the issues, and with whom I can
wholeheartedly agree.

In my mind, this announcement reduces the Cygwin project from a great hope for
a standard UNIX-like environment for NT, to 'just' another commercial porting
kit, plus a problematic port of the FSF tool suite.

Looking just at the tool suite port, the lack of full support for the native MS
file naming conventions is a serious problem.  For the Cygwin file naming
approach to be acceptable at a particular site, it would have to be adopted for
all commonly-used programs, so that the MS file naming conventions could be
ignored.  That requires linking non-FSF programs with the Cygnus ddl.

As long as linking arbitrary programs with cygwin32.ddl requires a special
license from Cygnus, it will not become popular (at any price, due to the
paperwork).  With no hope of wide-spread popularity, even early-adopters who
are willing to pay will be forced to consider whether taking the Cygwin
approach will make selling their products significantly more difficult.