The Troubles of a Small Developer

I'm using win-32 from a couple of weeks to port a commercial program
from Linux to winNT.

As a long time user of gcc under Linux I took it for granted that libs
coming with it would be LGPLed so when the (in)famous press release
from Cygnus hit this mailing list I was more than a bit upset.

Now I find myself in the not enviable position of having a product ready
to ship but being unable to do it.

The porting is complete and we might be shipping the product to our
first customer in a couple of weeks but the company for which I wrote it
it'is definitly not in the free software business and would never accept
to release it under the GPL.

Getting a commercial licence from cygnus is not even an issue.
First, because we are in a hurry and cygnus apparently still didn't
figure out how much to charge for it and, second, because the prices I
saw quoted are much above our budget.

If we had more time we might make a native port, but time is exactly
what we lack.

So what can I do ?

What I would like to know, possibly directly from cygnus is, if, by
bundling our product with cygnus.dll 16.1, we can sell it
without falling under the GPL.

A last question: as I have 17.1 already installed I would like to
compile with it and just bundle the final executable with cygnus.dll
16.1
Is there any reason why this shouldn't work ?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Pasqualino Assini        --- Kamus Internet Consulting
Via Nazioni Unite,47     --- 50126 Firenze Italy

-