Some Surprises

I had been using gnu-win32 bash, but ran into a confict while using the
JDK,
which would like to have the HOME variable set to the root directory. I
was
pleasantly surprised to find bash will run command.com (a shell within a
shell)
complete with it's own set of environment variables, without complaint.
OK, so I probabably should have known this would work, and also that
command.com
will now respond to commands like "ls". But it was a nice surprise to
see how flexible
the unix style tools are and how relatively complete is the integration
under
gnu-win32. Good Job.

D. Smith
drs@cs.wisc.edu