RE: Ctrl-C crashes bash

On  9 Mar 97 at 12:49, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:

> Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> >
> > Bob> a. Does anybody else have the problem that using control-C to
> > Bob> terminate a running program crashes bash?
> >
> > This problem occured for me under Win95 but doesn't seem to show
> > up under WinNT.
> >

> On Windows NT 4.0 too...

  It was posted several times to this list but so far no reply seen.

  The problem is (according Microsoft):

" ....
Note  SIGINT is not supported for any Win32 application including
Windows NT and Windows 95. When a CTRL+C interrupt occurs, Win32
operating systems generate a new thread to specifically handle that
interrupt. This can cause a single-thread application such as UNIX, to
become multithreaded, resulting in unexpected behavior.
                      ================================ !!!!
  .... "

  The worst thing is (by Microsoft again):

" TerminateThread is a dangerous function that should only be used in
the most extreme cases".

  One workaround for this is present with "Microsoft System
Journal", March, 96. (See source code on Web http://www.msj.com)

          Valery

Dr. Valery Fine                  Telex : 911621 dubna su
    -----------
LCTA/Joint Inst.for NuclearRes   Phone : +7 09621 6 40 80
141980 Dubna, Moscow region      Fax   : +7 09621 6 51 45
Russia                           mailto:fine@main1.jinr.dubna.su
                                 mailto:fine@vxcern.cern.ch
Dr. Valeri Faine
    ------------                 Phone: +41 22 767 6468
CERN                             FAX  : +41 22 782 2601
CH-1211 Geneva, 23               mailto:fine@vxcern.cern.ch
Switzerland                      http://nicewww.cern.ch/~fine

-