Re[2]: Linking with .LIB files

Text item:

     For those who are watching: Colin Peter's text is left justified, mine is
     indented.

David W Palmer[SMTP:David_W_Palmer@ccm.jf.intel.com] wrote:
>     So, I have a simple program which uses OpenGL and I link with the
>     following:
>
>     link simple.o libuser32.a glu32.lib opengl32.lib libgdi32.a
>     /subsystem:windows /machine:i386

Although this may be secondary to your concerns, or in fact may be
totally off topic, I notice that libglu32.a and libopengl32.a are
both included with the beta 17.1 distribution. I'm not sure about
the header files, but if you can get your code to compile you should
be able to link it with ld. Of course this doesn't help if what you
really want is DirectX or some other thing that comes with .lib
files you can't convert to .a files.

     Actually, that is interesting.  From the distribution I downloaded,
     libglu32.a and libopengl32.a are not available.  However, I am
     interested in the general problem of linking with MS lib's (ie,
     glaux.lib).

     I suspect that I could use dlltool to generate an import library for
     glu32.dll and opengl32.dll.  I'll give it a try.

>      LINK : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMainCRTStartup
>      simple.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
>      make: *** [simple.exe] Error 25
>
>     No .EXE is generated.  And the answer is... what?

This suggests to me that you need to include crt0.o in your link line
explicitly, since that's where _WinMainCRTStartup should be resolved.
Well, actually in the Cygnus sources it's not, but you could just add
a _WinMainCRTStartup entry point which calls the _mainCRTStartup
entry point and it should work OK I think.

     Yes, I thought of that too.

     //f/pgming/OpenGL/simple$ make
     link simple.o crt0.o libuser32.a glu32.lib opengl32.lib libgdi32.a
     /subsystem:windows /machine:i386
     Microsoft (R) 32-Bit Incremental Linker Version 5.00.7022
     Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1997. All rights reserved.

     crt0.o : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _cygwin_crt0
     LINK : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMainCRTStartup
     simple.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
     make: *** [simple.exe] Error 25
     //f/pgming/OpenGL/simple$

     So, I can trade WinMainCRTStartup() for cygwin_crt0().  Not much
     progress.  Though, this has to be defined somewhere!  Which library?
     Unfortunately, I don't know how to list the functions in a library.
     (how embarrassing) :+(

     BTW: instead of defining WinMainCRTStartup(), it's easier to use the
     link option /ENTRY:mainCRTStartup.

Sorry for the rampant uncertainty,

     Hay, at least it's better than calling me crazy for not using MSVC.
     Actually, I am using VC++ 5.0 but I'd rather not.

     Dave

Text item: External Message Header