Re: ld -r

Jimen Ching said:

> I'm trying to do incremental linking using the -r option.  But I get
> an error doing the following.
> ld -r -o a1x.o a12.o a13.o a14.o
> ld -r -o a2x.o a21.o a22.o
> ld -r -o axx.o a1x.o a2x.o
> The last line gives an error about unknown format for the input files.
> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing.

I know that at least the stock 2.7.* binutils have real problems with doing
relocatable links of PE objects. The objects they produce have several
problems: (a) they produce PEI instead of PE objects for ld -r, (b) many
structures inside the object file are corrupted (e.g. the relocation
records), and on and on..

It's possible that Cygnus has fixed some of these problems in their copy of
binutils, but there are still lots of problems..

For now, the best thing may be to not use ld -r at all. There's rarely any
reason these days..
--
Shankar Unni                                  shankar@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research                            (408) 752-9488