configure solution?

Hi there. I just started using cygwin32 yesterday. After playing around
with environment variables for a while, I finally got my little "Hello
world" program to compile.

So then I decided to jump to a moderately simple GNU application, gzip.
My problem is that configure seems to bug out. I am using B17.1 in
Windows 95. I have seen people address the problem in the mailing list
archives, but no apparent solutions were present in the archives.

Is there a solution yet for the configure problem?

Example:

bash$ sh configure
checking for gcc
configure: 79605028: No such file or directory
configure: 79609284: No such file or directory
checking for underline in external names
configure: 79609540: No such file or directory
configure: grep: command not found
checking for assembler
configure: grep: command not found
checking for install
checking for AIX
configure: 79600004: No such file or directory
checking for minix/config.h
configure: 79601060: No such file or directory
checking for POSIXized ISC
checking for DYNIX/ptx libseq
configure: 79600388: No such file or directory

The grep problem is easily solved, it's the rest that troubles me.

BTW Is B18 coming out this week?

// Michael
-