Re: Has anyone successfully build a powerpc-target xgcc

Geoffrey Noer writes:

> You might want to read ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/embedded/crossgcc/FAQ

  Perhaps all the answers will be found from the FAQ, but some
answers for the listed problems here...

> Andy Anh Da Ngo wrote:
> >
> >    1) float.h-ieee not found during build

 This comes with some cygnus 'how-to-patch- for-a-cross-gcc' script

> >    2) libgcc.a not found after one build that ld was
> >       looking for (sparc-sun-solaris2.4 hosted) when
> >       I ran power-eabi-gcc on some simple test.c file

Cannot say much, some targets come with an asm file with the needed
stuff for libgcc.a routines, sometimes there was a need to compile
the libgcc1.a part with a 'native C-compiler'...

> >    3) crt0.o not found (sparc-sun-solaris2.4 build, i386-go32 host,
> >       powerpc-eabi target) Canadian cross

The C-startup file, crt0.o,  belongs to the C-library,  perhaps Cygnus newlib-1.70 could be a
good choice for this purpose...   But quite sure the crt0.S sources
must be fixed for the target board the compiler user uses...  and all
the I/O-primitives too.   The C-library really  isn't a 'plug-and-play'
component for a embedded target...

> >    4) config.h not found during linux-hosted build
> >       when it was trying to compile hash.c
> >       (a reference of config.h in runtime.h) during
> >       objective-c compilation

Headers belong to the C-library too - making libobjc.a needs the
ppc-target gcc, which needs the proper headers for the target...

So, for a cross-development system one usually needs binutils,
C/C++ compiler, C-library (newlib),  C++ classes (libg++) and a debugger
(gdb as a remote debugger ). A simulator for the target, like SPIM
for MIPS can also be handy.  Perhaps a RTOS, like RTEMS is needed
too...   Anybody heard about  a good free powerpc-simulator?
-