compile fails with binary mount

I'm trying to take the advice I've been seeing to use binary mounts only.
But I find that I can't even compile a simple program like dtou.c with a
binary mount.  I get a message like:

bash$ gcc -o dtou dtou.c
dtou.c: In function `cvt':
dtou.c:57: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
dtou.c:58: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
Assembler messages:
Error: Can't open
 for reading.

: Invalid argument
gcc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 1

my mounts were

bash$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
d:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary

What am I doing wrong?  This is driving me crazy!
gb

-