Re: Split file downloads

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Carl Lawrence-Slater wrote:

> 	Also has anybody loaded all of gnu-win32 on a Zip disk? How
> bad is the performance over the parallel port?

I run 17.1 for Win95 on my Zip drive because I just don't have the hard
drive space right now.  The performance is not great.  There is a
noticible difference between running speed on any program that has to
access the drive, plus the initial lag loading up.

If you configure programs that create temp files, such as a full compile
with g++, to use a temporary directory on your hard drive rather than the
Zip drive, it helps.

I have never clocked it specifically, so I can't give you any statistics.

See ya around the Mulberry bush.

--James

:)

-