Re: Patch spamming

On  4 Jun 97 at 18:28, Mikey wrote:

> FYI spam is an UNSOLICITED OFF TOPIC ADVERTISEMENT, I hardly think
> fixes for cygwin32 are off topic...

The published topic of this list is "discussion."  If Cygnus wants to
expand "discussion" to include patches, fine, it is certainly their
prerogative.  However, absent that, what you or I think this list should be
is irrelevant.

> nor are they unsolicited, ...

They are certainly unsolicited by me.  Not having surveyed the
subscribers, I have no idea what percentage of the list finds them useful
and what percentage finds them annoying.  On what basis do you conclude
that "And I am sure a lot of other people feel the same way"?

> Geoff Noer in fact has posted several "ADVERTISMENTS", soliciting help
> with cygwin32.

I interpret that as a request to send *him* the patches, not to send the
patches to the list.

Perhaps it is time for Cygnus to step in and confirm or redefine the list's
purpose.

> Like I said, if you don't like it UNSUBSCRIBE!!

This is uncalled for.  May I inquire who appointed you moderator?

--
                                           Dave Bryan
                                   dbryan@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us