Static linking

I have ported a program to Cygnus, now I am moving to Colin Peters' Minimalist
GNU-Win32 stuff because I don't want to have to deliver more than the .EXE to
my client. My problem is that I was using gettimeofday which I have now tracked
down to libwinserve.a in .../mingw32/win32/lib, but when I build with
gcc ... -Wl,-Bstatic,-lwinserve,-Bdynamic ... the linker is satisfied, but the
routine isn't pulled into the executable and I get a DLL not found error for
WINSERVE.DLL (which doesn't exist, as far as I can make out the routine I want
is actually in the archive).

I have obviously got the wrong end of the stick vis-a-vis what -Bstatic
actually does, can anyone put me right?
--
John Cooper (JPSC Ltd, UK)

-