Re: Out of Queue slots!

At 12:43 PM 6/30/97 -0700, JP Shipherd wrote:
>I've seen this question posted a few times but no answer yet -- so I'll
>give it a try.
>
>Does anyone know what causes the error
>
>Out of Queue Slots!
>
>This usually scrolls across the screen forever once its started.  It seems
>to be generated by calling rm with wildcards (eg rm *.c *.cc).
>
>Thanks,
>--jp

OK, this should really be in the FAQ (is it??).  I've answered this a
few times for individuals of late but perhaps its time for another
mass mailing!

"Out of queue slots!" generally occurs when you're trying to remove
many files that you do not have permission to remove (either because
you don't have permission, they are opened exclusively, etc).  What
happens is gnuwin32 queues up these files with the supposition that it
will be possible to delete these files in the future.  Assuming that
the permission of an affected file does change later on, the file will
be deleted as requested.  However, if too many requests come in to
delete inaccessible files, the queue overflows and you get the message
you're asking about.  Usually you can remedy this with a quick chmod,
close of a file, or other such thing.

Well, that's the explanation behind the message.  If you want to know
why we have this rather non-optimal technique, perhaps you want to ask
our buddy Mr. Bill Gates!;-)

Larry Hall                      lhall@rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.              (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                  (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA, 02181

-