gcc reports heap error. What do I do

I installed b18 and am having lots of problems running commands.
grep sometimes runs and sometimes crashes. gcc fails always.
Here is one example:

D:\sjm\MTREE> gcc -ansi -c main.c
(unknown) heap_init: unable to allocate heap, win32 error 8
cygwin: terminating

D:\sjm\MTREE

Knowing so little anout win95 I can't even guess where to start. I
haven't seen anything that sounds like this in the FAQ or in the
archives of this list.

This is so basic that it has to be some confgiguration problem on my
system but of what?

Any help appreciated.

Steve Morris
sjm@judgement.com