Re: .tar.gz

I don't see how anyone could ever argue that gzip is "non-portable".
In fact that isn't what this thread is about.  Of course it is "portable";
it's got something called a "configure" script which goes to great pains to
ensure that it will run on as many platforms as possible.

The point that was being made is that 'gzip' is not distributed, by
default, with many computer systems.  Most UNIX distributions do have a
'compress' program, however.  That doesn't mean that compress is more
"portable" but it does mean that it is more widely available.

The original poster was not saying that the compress code was more
"portable".  He was pointing out that if you expect to find 'gzip' on
every UNIX platform you'll be disappointed.

--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."