Ineradicable file %_ revisited

Fellow mailing list masochists,

Thanks for all of the suggestions regarding file %_, which will not go
away.  I fear some more information is required.

Bare
  ls
in the containing directory yields:
ls: %_: No such file or directory

If there are other files in the directory, the preceding message is output
first, followed by the listing of the "real" files.

Similarly, rm -i * yields
rm: %_: No such file or directory

Reverting to Explorer, and examining properties of %_ gives:

Size 0 bytes (0 bytes)
MS-DOS name:
  Created   unknown
  Modified  unknown
  Accessed  unknown

Attempting to delete the little limpet gives:
Cannot delete %_: Cannot find the specified file  etc..

I mention this because of the possibility that this anomaly is GNU created.
 This is not necessarily the case, of course.

All (well-meaning) suggestions gratefully accepted.

Yours faithfully,
Peter
 __ /__   Peter B. West
   /     p.west@mailbox.uq.edu.au