installation

help!

I have bought a book which contains cygnus beta17, I am not sure if it
is supported, but i am having real trouble installing it. I can put it
all onto my hard drive, but after that, I have no idea what to run , do
what or whatever. Everything that I open say something like error, do
something else. The book is by SAMS PUBLISHING, "teach yourself C++ in
24hrs. (yeah right). I have read all the notes and there is nothing
telling you to do what. There is nothing to say which files are the
compilers, debuggers, linkers and so on. Where the hell is everything?
This just stupid.

E-mail me back asap at
kai@globalnet.co.uk
(all lowercase)