Re: Re comments in gnuwin32

 > Unfortunately there seems to be some confusion over
 > what a "native" file mode is, personally I think that
 > worrying what the "native" file mode is in an emulation
 > dll is kind of backwards, an emulation dll is there to
 > create a non "native" environment in the first place
 > so having cygwin32 open files in TEXT mode by default
 > just because 95/NT do is rather silly ;^)
 > AND breaks many otherwise working posix programs ;^(

Agreed.  -b should be default.  any file under / to me is under posix
control vs. any //drive/ (or thankfully drive:/) is under MS control and needs
to be treated as text!=binary (unless mounted).

 > Unfortunately if you work that way, when you
 > send the software to your customers/buddys
 > and they install it, it sets up the default text!=binary
 > mount table, and you get calls wondering why
 > things don't work ;^(

I've repackaged the cygnus cdk/usertools into a local cygwin.exe install
file. It builds a standard(?!) unix directory tree (/bin, /lib, /usr,...) and
loads everything into the right spot.  It then directly hammers the registry
with all the correct mounts, adds $HOME, $GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and finally adds all
to the $PATH MS style paths to the bins and libs.

Its the only way i could guarantee a predictable environment.

Tibor
-