Tar fails during creation of large files.

Hello all:

I am currently running CDK b18 with the Coolview dll (date 9/7/97) on NT
4.00 (build 1381).  The system has 64M RAM and a 4G SCSI drive.

Both the source dir and dest dir are binary mounts.

I am trying to tar a subdirectory and all of it's subdirectories into a
single archive.  The directory tree contains 24.5M of files.

If I execute the following

	bash$ cd /tarsrc
	bash$ tar -cf /tardest/dest.tar Components

		I end up with a TAR file containing 4,410K of data, but only some of
the required files.

If I execute the following

	bash$ cd /tarsrc
	bash$ tar -cvf /tardest/dest.tar Components

		I end up with a TAR file containing 25,740K of data, with all of the
files.

Why is there a difference?

Eric M. Smith
telephone               : (423) 229-2254
profs/officevision     : XGIB003
internet -- business : erics@eastman.com
internet -- personal  : burnsun@tricon.net

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are quick to anger.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
good with ketchup.

-