Re: Output redirection, file creation, and libjpeg.a

Well, I'm using bash 2.0.1 that I compiled from source with the original
cygwin library.  I can't use Sergey's version because of the amount of
disk space used to store extended attributes on my FAT, the "EA DATA.
SF" file.  There was little problem with the make of bash 2.0.1, I
remember I had to define _POSIX_SOURCE and I had to modify sig.c to not
use SIGPROF if it wasn't defined.  I've not had any problems with \r
prepended to \n if the systems are mounted as text=binary and I use one
directory I've called "text" a mounted as text!=binary to output/convert
files I need to print on a shared printer that expects the \r to be
there.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

>Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:09:06 -0400
>To: "Earnie Boyd" <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>, vischne@ibm.net
>From: Larry Hall <lhall@ma.ultranet.com>
>Subject: Re: Output redirection, file creation, and libjpeg.a
>Cc: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>
>Actually, regardless of how the file systems are mounted, if you are
using
>the bash that came with the original b18, stdin, stdout, stderr, and
pipes
>will be opened in text mode.  The later version of bash (2.0.1)
compiled by
>Sergey does NOT set all these to text mode and therefore you won't get
>carriage returns appended.  I am uncertain whether mounting file
systems as
>binary using the original version of bash would remove the carriage
returns
>from stdin, stdout, and stderr (probably not) but the problem would
persist
>for pipes.  See Sergey's patches for the new bash (and patched cygwin
DLL) -
>http://www.lexa.ru/sos.
>
>Larry
>
>At 04:54 AM 10/13/97 PDT, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>
>>How is your filesystems mounted?  If they are mounted text!=binary
then
>>you will have a \r (^M) prepended to any \n.  If they are mounted
>>text=binary, then someone else will have to give you an answer.
>>
>>To mount / as text=binary:
>>1) cd to the bin directory
>>2) umount /
>>3) mount -b c:\\ /
>>
>>-        \\||//
>>---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
>>-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
>>------ooo0O--O0ooo-------
>>
>>>Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:20:07 GMT
>>>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>>>From: Victor Schneider <vischne@ibm.net>
>>>Subject: Output redirection, file creation, and libjpeg.a
>>>
>>>There's a curious problem with porting the jpeg-6 and jpeg-6a
libraries
>>>cygwin32:  They compile with no problem, and running `make test'
>>confirms
>>>that they work, but the `cjpeg' and `djpeg' utilities appear to have
>>>problems (a) creating files and (b) using the input and output
>>redirection
>>>operators (`<' and `>').
>>>
>>>When you generate a .gif file from a .jpg file using djpeg, you get
>>>`spurious symbol' error messages from lview31.exe on the resulting
.gif
>>>file.  I think that results from some problem using `>' to generate
the
>>>resulting .gif file.  I get the impression that cygwin32 uses the Dos
>>'>'
>>>operator and gets junk added in to the redirection process.  Either
>>that, or
>>>bash.exe is doing something.
>>>
>>>Using the `-outputfile' option in djpeg yields an output file of zero
>>>length.  Since this all works under other operating systems like
Linux,