Re: mingw32 - noncygwin32 gcc - libwinserve.a

>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:44:51 +0100
>From: "Pedro A. Aranda Guti\irrez" <paag@tid.es>
>To: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com>
>Cc: colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp, J.J.vanderHeijden@student.utwente.nl
>Subject: Re: mingw32 - noncygwin32 gcc - libwinserve.a

---snip---

>Which bash are you using. The CYGWIN-bash, an MSDOS bash or a MINGW32
>versionof bash. If it is the latter, I'd like to know how you got it
>compiled. It's been my main headache
>for the last couple of months. I do refuse to install the cygwin.dll
>monster in my PC.

As for BASH I'm currently using bash-2.01 that I compiled with the
out-of-the-box version of cygwin.dll.  As for compilation I chose the
package rman-3.0.3a12 as it was small (1 module) in size.  To get it to
compile I had to remove the -D options from gcc and insert them into a
header file that I then included in the source.  I then issued the
necessary build command from MSDOShell.

I've also noted that the mingw32 version of gcc (I say that it is gcc
because it doesn't matter which shell is used) removes all quotes from
the command line.  E.G.: The makefile from bash-2.01 has a command line
definition of -DPROGRAM='"bash"'; when the compiler sees this it is
trying to resolve the reference to bash as a variable not as a literal.

As for the cygwin.dll, Cygnus Support and all involved have made a great
contribution to the process of making programs portable.  However, if
there license prevents anyone from using it for whatever purpose
desired, even compilers, I question whether I can totally support it.
However, I have been given the use of it and will use it and have
enjoyed using it and will help others use it.

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------