Re: Using mount consistently to print

Larry Hall wrote:
At 11:46 AM 10/28/97 GMT, you wrote:
>You might check this out on your system, but I think cygwin bash permits
>a call of the form:
>
>	cat textfile > prn
>
>Was this a loophole that you overlooked in the quest to make bash
>impractical for Windows?

I'm assuming this was meant "tongue in cheek" however I would like to
clarify that noone is attempting to make bash impractical for Windows.
Like everything else, it is evolving at the pace at which people who
contribute to it are inclined to fix issues.  The DOS style notation
for printing is an artifact of the underlying O/S and is a nice "free-bee"
for printing at the moment.

In other words, the developers mean to close this `loophole' as well?
Actually, when Unix programs ask for the name of a printer, using `prn'
is perfectly valid, and the Unix `lpr' program has no problem with this
either.  Since it doesn't cause any problems with cygwin, AND SINCE MOUNT
DOESN'T RECOGNIZE PRN, it is the perfect solution.

And, believe me, `tongue in cheek' isn't all it's cracked up to be.

-