RE: fork2

Jason Zions wrote:

> Or you could use OpenNT from Softway Systems which gives you a real,
> honest, fully-conforming, fork(). Not to mention the rest of POSIX.1,

> That's a shame. You can have both; you just need the right technology.

I've tried this "right technology"... cc as a front-end to cl fools all
configure scripts. I couldn't find on Softway's ftp site fixed cc
(mentioned in technote) :-( OK, I downloaded from softway web site gcc
(it's cygnus gcc, btw :-) and tried to make bash 2.01. Configure runs fine
(and rightly), I made a small changes in bash sources to conform OpenNT
libraries (*sigh*), make passed. Bash just traps on start-up with
segmentation violation message... "Hello, World" works fine :-)

BTW, fork() in OpenNT 2.0 is excellent! It's not fast like on unix systems,
but it takes no processor resources like on cygwin. The simpliest program -
fork() in a loop and wait for a child, child just exits immediately - runs
much faster than on cygwin and with almost zero processor load! It's very
interesting for me - why processor load is 0? What the computer does at
this time?-)

Unfortunately, I can't continue to play with OpenNT - the demo key is
expired now:-) BTW, do you know, that cygwin passes most of tests of NIST
Posix Conformance Test Suite?-)

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia