Petzold Example

     Yes, I confess!  I am a newbie Windows programmer!

     As others posting to this list have confessed, I am attempting to get
     the very first example in that classic, "Programming Windows 95" to
     run using gcc.  Unfortunately, like the others, I am running into
     problems even after reading the previous postings (I agree with
     another poster:  a search engine would be darn handy).

     I have copied the program and constructed a make file that results in
     the following two-step compile:

        gcc -c -DSTRICT -o hellowin.obj hellowin.c
        ld -o hellowin.exe hellowin.obj --subsystem windows -luser32 /
                -lgdi32 -L$(GCC_WIN_LIB)

     After copying mmsystem.h down from Microsoft's web, Everything
     compiled and linked.  I do get this warning, however:

        ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol WinMainCRTStartup; defaulting
                to 00401000

     Using the "-e mainCRTStartup" as suggested in another post doesn't
     help; the linker can't find that symbol, either.

     When I try to run the resulting executable, I get the following error
     message:

        A required .DLL file, j.DLL, was not found.

     Question 1:  What entry point SHOULD I be linking to, and where is it?

     Question 2:  What is j.DLL, and where do I find it?

     Thanks in advance for your help.

     /s/
     Pat Bradford

        Respond to either: